Terrariums for kids: These add a dash of greenery to an indoor space, providing peace and tranquility to the overall aesthetic. A terrarium is like an aquarium, but for plants (instead of fish).
These self-contained ecosystems have been growing in popularity in recent times and offer several benefits to kids.
- Terrarium kits and plant kits are a great way to teach your kids about the science of how plants grow.
- These instill discipline kids as they water the plants every morning (even though they don’t have to do it as these are self-sustaining) and watch them grow in amazement.
- Having a Terrarium at home is also a great way to instill a love for nature and the environment
- As parents, you should take his opportunity to teach your kids about the concept of ecosystem and plant life cycle.
- Kids get a feeling of accomplishment as they can see that something that they had planted has started to grow.
While you can easily make a beautiful terrarium garden all by yourself, you also get terrarium kits that let you easily set up a terrarium.
Terrarium Kits come with small, cute plants and inlcudes everything you need to create your own terrarium. The ones designed for kids comne with LED lights and even glow in the dark making them look even more amazing.
- Creativity for Kids Grow ‘N Glow Terrarium Kit for Kid
- Light-up Terrarium Kit for Kids with LED Light on Lid
To make a terrarium, you need the following:
- Clean and shiny glass container with a wide bottom.
- Small rocks (marble-sized are well-suited but depends on the size of your container)
- Activated charcoal (filters water and also prevents the growth of fungi)
- Garden or Potting Soil (sterilized)
- Small plants of various shapes, textures, and even colors (choose plants that won’t grow too big for the container).
- Further, you may use additional things for decorating your Terrarium further, such as moss, decorative rocks and/or pebbles, shells, tiny pine cones, etc.
Funtoyworld is a family-managed website with me (Ben), and my wife doing most of the work. We are proud parents of two wonderful kids and love reviewing toys. We have a firm but friendly “democratic parenting” style and offer several practical suggestions backed by extensive research. Our own experience with raising two children prompted us to share our knowledge. Read more.