For kids, coin collecting hobby is a great way to learn more history, geography, and even politics (for the grown up child). Here’s how to groom the young Numismatist at home.
How Coin collecting can help kids
The coin collecting hobby can help kids in several ways:
- It can help them learn more about history and culture
- It can help gain specialized knowledge
- It can help learn more about trade, and have a greater understanding of the value of money
- It can improve their organizational skills, comprehension as well as reading ability
- It can help them learn how to set and reach goals, how to establish priorities
- It also teaches kids patience
Video showing how coins are made. It will help your kids learn more about coin collecting terms that go along with the hobby
Best Coin collection Starter Kit
LZWIN Coin Collection Starter Kit
This starter kit offers a quick way to build your coin collection. It’s also a great product to help kids learn more about the world.
This kit comes with 60 different coins from 60 different countries/areas. Each coin is tagged with its country’s flag. All the coins are original/genuine. The binder comes with extra flags to encourage your child to collect more coins, although it does not have any extra coin sleeves and there is no way to add extra sleeves.
A nice collection, with a nice padded cover; looks like a menu from a good restaurant.
Best Books and Magazines on Coin Collecting
- Coin Collecting for Kids Board book
- The Kid’s Guide to Collecting Statehood Quarters and Other Cool Coins
- Beckett Coinage: Magazine for coin collectors
Coin Grading is another important aspect related to coin collecting, although it may take a while for kids to understand it. However, over time, they will learn how to find the value of their coins themselves.
Tips to further encourage your kids
Here are a few more tips that will encourage your child to show more interest in their hobby.
- Take your child to a local coins shop or to a coin show
- Visit one of the mints (coin making facility).
- Spend some time working on your child’s collection.
Funtoyworld is a family-managed website with me (Ben), and my wife doing most of the work. We are proud parents of two wonderful kids and love reviewing toys. We have a firm but friendly “democratic parenting” style and offer several practical suggestions backed by extensive research. Our own experience with raising two children prompted us to share our knowledge. Read more.