Best wiggle cars (Plasmacar, Lil Rider): One of the most popular ride-on-toys for toddlers (suited for kids in the age group 3-8). Doesn’t require any batteries, don’t need to use gears or pedals. The PlasmaCar toy has a simple operation and can be driven with well-timed left-and-right movements of the wheel. However, younger kids may propel it forward using their legs. Skip to the best toy wiggle car on Amazon.
Kids like ride-on toys but many of them require more open space in order to really enjoy them. Wiggle ride-on cars are popular because they can be used in limited spaces as they are very easy to turn around.
Kids can drive around the house, maneuvering around various nooks & pieces of furniture; going in reverse is easy as well.
Designed mostly for indoor use, wiggle cars work best on hard, flat surfaces (carpet, grass, and other ‘rough’ surfaces diminish the toy’s ability to propel forward).
These are also known as swing ride-on cars. The Plasma car was the original swing car but since then more brands have started making these toys. Available in colorful looks, these manually operated ride-on toys offer decent speed.
These are also quite cheaper compared to the other types of ride-on toys available for kids.
This type of ride-on car is also referred to as a Centrifugal Force Ride-On Car. By spinning the steering wheel rapidly, the centrifugal force is generated that moves the car forward or backward.
- Makes no noise (unless you’re riding outside on a rough surface), gets you some exercise.
- It is Kid friendly – no batteries, gears or pedals.
- It helps your child develop motor skills while having fun. Easy to store on the toy room
- Young children will have to use their feet initially to propel (it is not powered) until they figure out how to move it forward.
- Elder kids using it at home should be careful not to take it over the toes of elders (especially the old, and those suffering from diabetes).
- These could damage wooden surfaces/floors so you should avoid riding these over wooden flooring.
Despite the cons, these are excellent toys with a simple design but great functionality. I wish toy companies had more ideas like these, which would keep kids away from gadgets like Phones and iPads.
These are fun for the older kids as well and even for adults. Yes, they are actually quite sturdier than what they look. When I first got this for my 4-year-old, my elder one who was 8 years back, and my wife who weighed 50 kgs, would occasionally use the ride-on as it was so much fun and because it could be ridden indoors. Soon, I had to buy one more wiggle car.
When it comes to buying these ride-ons, you may need to pay special attention to the wheels.
While the wheels on wiggle cars by Plasma car are softer and better suited for the surface (won’t leave any scratch), the ones from the other brands have slightly harder wheels which provides them with more speed (which the kids will like) but it may leave scratches on certain kind of surfaces and could also be a bit noisier.
Best Wiggle Cars (Comparison Chart)
The best wiggle cars work smoothly over flat surfaces, are quieter, and suited for ages 3 years onwards.
- Ride-on toy wiggle car (by Joyano) – Best overall, it comes with anti-collision design, LED lights on the wheel.
- Wiggle Car by Lil’ Rider: Value for Money
- PlasmaCar: The Original by PlaSmart
- INFANS Wiggle Car, Ride On Toy: Nice, vintage car design
- Big Time Toys The Original Roller Racer: Unique, low height design
- Wiggle Car Replacement Wheels Set: Plasma Car Wheels Substitutes
Wiggle Car Review
INFANS Wiggle Car, Ride On Toy
This one is a bit different from the other choices here because of its unique design, the front and the back resembling that of a vintage car.
It features LED flashing wheels that are super quiet, and the car works the same way like any other wiggle car. Suitable for kids two years and above.
Joyano Swing Car (Ride on Toy)
An excellent swingcar for kids aged 2 years above (Weight up to 50kgs).
The best part about this ride on swing car is that it comes with LED wheels. Its sturdy, safe to use and does not require any assembly. This sleek-looking ride-on car features an Anticollision design (in the front and back) to reduce jerks upon impact.
PlasmaCar The Original by PlaSmart (Red)
This one feels sturdier and has a max weight capacity of 220 lb / 100 kg on smooth, flat surfaces, which means even adults can give it a spin once in a while. Buy a few of these and it can serve as nice family fun. Available in various colors.
Ride on Wiggle Car (Lil’ Rider)
This is a bestseller wiggle car on Amazon, it’s easy to ride and works smoothly on flat surfaces. It can hold kids up to 150 lbs. of weight.
You also get more theme based wiggle cars from Lil Rider, such as:
Gostorechoice Wiggle Car
For ages 3 and up (maximum load capacity is 150lb-220lb). The best thing about this wiggle car is its wheels; it features LED light up wheels made of polyurethane.
Radio Flyer Ziggle Wiggle Car
A child doesn’t need to know how to pedal in order to use this ride-on toy. The Radio Flyer Ziggle can be propelled by moving the handle bars with arms and wiggling hips side to side in the seat. In order to make it move, the child needs to twist and wiggle.
Features 4-caster wheels that also enables 360 degrees spin. The easy glide wheels provide a smooth and quiet ride.
The adjustable seat grows with the child. Suitable for ages 3-8 (weight capacity 81 lbs).
Big Time Toys The Original Roller Racer
While not designed exactly like the other common wiggle/swing cars, this Big Time Toys Roller Racer ride-on toy has to be ridden using a similar technique – the child has to swing side to side in order to propel this toy. And once in motion, it needs to be stopped using the feet. This ride-on toy also has a much lower height compared to the other wiggle cars. While the age limit says 3 to 12 years, it seems studier and can handle more weight easily. This is a great ride-on-toy for kids to have a blast outdoors.
Plasma Car Replacement Parts
While the parts may wear over time, it’s unlikely to prevent these from working, unless there’s a problem with the wheels.
Thankfully, you can order replacement parts/wheels for wiggle cars, for almost all the brands including for the plasma car.
Wiggle Cars / Ride-ons: Buying Guide
PlasmaCar ride-on-toy was originally made by Canadian toy distributor PlaSmart. It does not require batteries or any power source to propel.
It is an extremely popular toy not just in America but in other continents as well, including Asia.
- While the car can be propelled with the legs, you can actually move it forward by just wiggling the steering wheel.
- Great for age group 3 years and up. Kids two and half years old can also ride in actually.
- Has to be operated manually (no batteries, no noisy motor)
- Suggested rider weight limit is up to 220 lbs (on smooth surfaces) and up to 120 lbs (on rougher, uneven surfaces).
- Includes a built-in music system that plays popular music. Some models also have glowing lights.
- PlasmaCar is adult-friendly too (once in a while when you want to join the kids in the fun, my wife often does that) but make sure its on flat surface.
Great for 2 or More Kids
This is an excellent toy that provides young kids with a sense of motion which they love. It relies on simple design and intuitive play to engage children.
If you have two or more kids, these are the perfect toys to keep them entertained. My two kids love to move around the house on these ride-ons, one chasing the other.
When their friends come over, they also love riding these toys.
Develop Motor Skills While Having Fun
The PlasmaCar helps your little one develop good hand-eye coordination and get some exercise while having fun. As kids learn to drive with more confidence, they will develop better motor skills.
Young children, who are unable to propel the car forward using the steering wheel can still have fun on the PlasmaCar by pushing off with their feet.
Like any other ride-on-toy, it’s important to keep an eye on your little one when they are riding these toys.
- When at home, make sure there are no sharp edges on the walls or furniture.
- Make sure they are not near any stairs that go downwards
- If your older child is using this toy, make sure the little one is not lying on the floor. Instruct your older child to ensure s/he doesn’t accidentally take it over the little toes fingers/toes
- Even adults have to be careful when toddlers are using these; your toes can easily get hurt by these (which can be a concern in the case of diabetics)
Some of the models may require some assembly before they can be used. However, its very easy to put it all together.
Wiggle Car vs Plasma Car
These may be called by various names but all these wiggle cars work on a similar principle. Plasma Car is a kind of a wiggle car. There used to be brand earlier called “Wiggle Racer”, which was subsequently taken over by PlasmaCar (PlaSmart).
To sum it up, self-propelling toy cars have always been a part of every little child’s playroom. Kids are really fond of the Plasma car because it not as reliant on your own foot power or even batteries. Basically, it is powered by your child holding onto the steering wheel and moving back and forth; the rocking motion is what propels the car forward.
Read more on PlasmaCar Physics on wikipedia
Funtoyworld is a family-managed website with me (Ben), and my wife doing most of the work. We are proud parents of two wonderful kids and love reviewing toys. We have a firm but friendly “democratic parenting” style and offer several practical suggestions backed by extensive research. Our own experience with raising two children prompted us to share our knowledge. Read more.
Leave a Reply