Constructive play is about interacting with the environment and creating things from whatever is available in the environment – sand, mud, twigs, leaves, flowers, etc.
Examples of constructive play
Kids can engage in constructive play in several ways:
- They can build sandcastles – can be done at the beach or even in the garden
- Digging up holes
- Playing with building blocks (such as Lego, Duplo) and construction toys
Importance of constructive play
Constructive play helps children learn & grow through the process of discovering.
- Constructive play encourages kids to be creative, as they design their own structure or plaything.
- It encourages problem solving as kids find out unique ways to complete their design/structure.
- Providing kids with constructive playthings such as construction toys and building blocks can arouse curiosity as kids look to explore these toys and see how they can be used to create interesting objects.
Toys that can help in constructive play
Certain toys such as building blocks and construction toys seem to encourage constructive play.
- Gardening tools, toy diggers: Kids love to use these while playing in sand. building all kinds of structures.
- Construction Toys and Building Blocks: Kids can play with these indoors as well as outdoors, and also learn more about machinery
- Pegboards for kids
- Magnetic shapes with Board
- Drawing and painting toys
Importance of Constructive Hobbies & Games for Kids
As parents, any constructive hobby or games for kids that adds to the overall growth of your child should be welcome.
Anything that stimulates your child mind and involves some element of learning should be made part of their daily routine.
Irrespective of their age, each and every young individual requires a hobby or a leisure activity.An interesting and a fascinating kid hobby will not only help in gaining knowledge at an early age, but it also acts as a source of entertainment which can keep them amused for several hours.
Though there are several education-related video games available nowadays, parents should allow kids to use them only for a limited time throughout the day.
It’s better to engage your kids in interesting hobbies as it will steer them clear of television/mobile phones for long hours.
Even from the perspective of parents, I am sure you would want to see your kids spend more time pursuing interesting hobbies rather than sit in front of the TV or play video games.
A majority of parents would choose to see their kids doing something demanding, challenging or educational.
Keeping your children busy also may possibly encourage them to stay clear of an undesirable peer group and also be away from trouble. I am sure every parent would want this.
Another interesting fact is that children tend to pick up things quite fast so it is even more important that we expose them to as many hobbies as possible. There is a likelihood that they may pick up a lot of skills quite early in life which can them serve them well for the rest of their life.
So what are some good options when it comes to hobbies and games for kids?
There are several!
The first thing that comes to the mind, and probably the more difficult one, is learning to play a musical instrument. It can also take some time to learn but is nevertheless a good investment considering the advantages of exposing kids to music at an early age.
There are several others hobbies for children that are not expensive as well, like painting, craft, coin or stamp collecting and many more that one can think of which can keep your child occupied in a constructive manner.Just choose whatever you find is suitable and convenient for your child to follow.
So any hobby or games for kids that adds to the overall growth of your child should be welcome and should be made part of your kid’s daily routine.